Thứ Sáu, 4 tháng 12, 2015

INSPIRED BY TRAVEL: MEET DJ WILL POWER


Inspired by Travel: Meet DJ Will Power
It’s house music and house parties for this world traveller
Say hello to Will Power Smith. Sure, he’s got a rad name befitting a superhero, but his powers are decidedly musical: he learned how to DJ from his brother at the tender age of 9. Now this Londoner plays some of the most massive house parties in town and beyond. After spending his youth in the natural beauty of the Cotswolds, Power Smith spends his days traveling the world to play shows. And if his Insta’s any indication, this sneakerhead could teach us a thing or two about surf, soccer, cycling, seeing the world, and relaxing on the beach. So, you see, he uses his powers for good.
Tell us about how you got into making music.
I was DJing at an early age and then I actually got into playing the guitar; my focus changed from dance music to rock music. I was more into Nirvana and that. I was in bands and found myself trying to write all the parts for all the songs until I pissed everyone off.
What do you think changed?
I got this new first music software. You could plug your guitar into it and that would go into a USB on your computer, which would then record the guitar. So I started recording all the bits. I made the beats and stuff and it was so basic at the time but it was amazing, this freedom to be able to do all these things that I wanted to do myself. It wasn’t until a year or two before I went to uni that I got back into dance music and house music.
Now you tour a lot. Do you have any tips or philosophies when it comes to travel?
I travel as light as possible because I love nipping into shops to grab my basics. I’ve got a couple of my essential things. I have my USB’s, my headphones, my laptop.
What are some of the places you like to go to discover new musicians and new sounds in London?
London is really inspiring. And Shoreditch, similar to places like Berlin, there’s lots of new stars coming out all the time. The clubs are open really late. There’s always something going on, and all of my friends are there, too. There’s a handful of venues that we go to which always have cool new DJs, mostly in Shoreditch or Dalston. Places like The Nest, XOYO, Village UndergroundUruguay. I hang out a lot at Shoreditch House, and I’ve played a couple of nights there as well.
How does the nightlife influence the way you dress? Do you dress differently for day versus night?
During the day I’ll just wear a t-shirt and a skinny jean. I like to dress up at night: usually a black skinny jean, maybe a black or a white tee and a black jacket. Depends on where I’m going, what clubs I’m going to.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét