Thứ Sáu, 4 tháng 12, 2015

INSPIRED BY COLOR: MEET MODEL IRENE KIM


Inspired by Color: Meet Model Irene Kim
Korea’s most in-demand model on her personal style
Is Irene Kim personally responsible for the global uptick in rainbow hair hues? It’s seriously possible, given her fashion cred: this street style magnet has modeled for Stella McCartney and Chanel, among others. Not to mention her own massive following: she’s a contributing editor for fashion magazines in Korea, and hosts two fashion and beauty TV shows in Seoul. Born in Seattle, Washington Kim moved to Korea after middle school. A self-professed jewelry addict, she doesn’t go anywhere without a handful of rings – we’re talking 8 to 10, sometimes more. Her inspiration? She cites My Little Pony half-jokingly, and in all seriousness, color, in general.
How did your hair evolve into this glorious rainbow mane?
It was really organic…I started doing bleach ombré and then one day I just wanted to do color. Something different. Blue was first, and then I got into purple and then into pink, and then my hair stylist and I were like ‘Let’s do some crazy stuff, why not?’
When did you feel like you really established your personal style?
When I first dyed it blue, my agency in Korea freaked out. They were like ‘You are not going to get any work. You’re going to get dropped from all your jobs.’ And now I’m working more and it’s become my trademark. And it really shows that individuality is good! I have always loved expressing myself through the way I dress…I think it really went full-blown when I started coloring my hair.
Who are some of your fashion or style idols?
I really like Rihanna a lot, because she’s such a risk taker…she wears what she wants to wear, carries herself with confidence and I think that’s the most important. She’s awesome.
Does traveling between New York, Seoul, London, and Paris influence the way that you dress?
It definitely influences me. I get really inspired by my surroundings. London is really fun…I was really shocked when I went because last March was my first time, and it was so cool! Everyone there has rainbow hair, I fit in! I think I should live in London, because I didn’t really stand out there!
You’re friends with lots of K-Pop celebrities. Does the music scene in Seoul impact your style? K-Pop is just such a huge global phenomenon.
I didn’t realize that until I started coming back to the States more often and my non-Korean friends were singing K-Pop more than me! So I was very surprised. I think it plays a big role. I think the K-Pop scene definitely opened doors for Korean Fashion and beauty.
You mentioned going through your grandmother’s jewelry. What did she teach you about style? 
She’s amazing. She’s always put together: she always has pink lipstick on and blinged out glasses, grandma-style vintage. I think I’ve learned from her to always be presentable, and I think that’s important. I’m not saying that looks are the most important but if you’re going for an interview or a date or whatever, be your best self. She has this amazing leopard print mink coat that I stole from her. No, I mean borrowed! She hasn’t asked for it back yet, so…

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét