Thứ Sáu, 4 tháng 12, 2015

INSPIRED BY SPORT: MEET DIRECTOR SANDRA WINTHER


Inspired by Sport: Meet Director Sandra Winther
Our new favorite Danish director on how to bring sport into the everyday
Copenhagen-born filmmaker Sandra Winther brought her chic Nordic sensibilities to New York about two years ago. After working with artist Quentin Jones, she struck out on her own and now spends her time directing visually arresting films for clients like Opening Ceremony, Kitty Cash, Miley Cyrus, and Vogue. And she’s one well-rounded lady, too. A lover of sport, Winther’s list of past athletics range from breakdancing and ballet to trampoline jump and gymnastics. Which is why it makes perfect sense that her personal look is equal parts sporty and chic.
How did you come to be living in NYC? 
I was studying film and media in Copenhagen and they had an exchange program. I did my last semester in film at Columbia and then just loved it here so much I decided to stay…I get very inspired by just the energy in New York. There’s this creative energy and there’s a lot of diversity.
How do you feel your work as a director influences your personal style?  
I’ve always really loved putting things together, and I think that’s what you do in film: you put different people together to create something. It’s kind of the same with styling. I think that a sports top can be worn to a fancy party if you just match it up with something that’s a little more dressed up. At the same time, because the way I work with my films is a bit of an artist’s approach and very analog, working with paint or ink and then putting that into After Effects, I need to wear stuff that I can move around in and it can get a little dirty without it mattering too much.
You also move around a lot outside of work. We hear you’re very active.
I’ve always been super active. One thing that I’ve always done is running. I have a lot of athletic clothes and sportswear that I mix with my own clothes. I also wear sneakers every day, because they’ve become a collector’s thing for me. Sport is very timeless; sporty clothes have such a utility. It seems like if you have a choice, it’s the most practical thing to wear, because you know you’ll be comfortable in it and it looks good.
Do your parents or your Danish heritage influence the way you dress?
I think the way my parents have influenced me, they’re very thoughtful on the items that they choose to spend money on. They’ve just always been very considerate about everything. Their aesthetic and their eye for detail and craftsmanship have inspired the way I think about it, too.
You mentioned 90’s R&B as something that inspires you, too.
In R&B or soul there are a lot of amazing women who really just sing from their heart and you can feel it in the music. In that sense I’m very inspired by female singers. And music is such a vibe creator. It sets a tone! I think sometimes just putting on some good music and moving around a little bit, it makes all outfits work out better.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét